March,15th— As salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
With the announcement by the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) of several confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Champaign County, the Central Illinois Mosque & Islamic Center (CIMIC) management in consultation with the Imam is taking additional steps to help slow the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus in our community.
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
- All congregational prayers in the masjid, including Jumu’ah prayer and the 5 daily prayers, and any optional prayers are suspended..
- Sunday school and all other programs are canceled.
- All exterior doors to the masjid will be locked. Please provide full cooperation to the management staff.
These actions are taken due to the risk to health and human life posed by large gatherings where the virus can be more easily transmitted.
We are by this, following the command of Allah in the (Quran 2:195) ﴿وَلَا تُلْقُوا بِأَيْدِيكُمْ إِلَى التَّهْلُكَةِ﴾ “let not your own hands throw you into destruction”) and the teaching of the Prophet Peace be upon him addressing the Ka’ba: وَالَّذِي نَفْسُ مُحَمَّدٍ بِيَدِهِ لَحُرْمَةُ الْمُؤْمِنِ أَعْظَمُ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ حُرْمَةً مِنْكِ (الكعبة) “By the One in Whose Hand is the soul of Muhammad, the sanctity of the believer is greater before Allah than your sanctity.”
At this time, the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have recommended that each one of us avoid large gathering, practice “social distancing” by staying 6 feet away from people, wash hands with soap frequently, and disinfect commonly touched surfaces.
Please also take this time to check on family members, neighbors, and friends, to ensure they have what they need in this time of uncertainty.
“Certainly, with hardship comes ease!” [Quran 94:6]. Inshallah this difficulty will pass soon. We will continue to post updates on www.cimic.org, via CIMIC emails, and on our Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts. Please email email@example.com if you have questions.
Additional local information on COVID-19:
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District https://c-uphd.org
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) hotline for Illinois residents 1-800-889-3931
- Centers for Disease Control and prevention (CDC) https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
- University of Illinois https://covid19.illinois.edu